6 Deadly Home Hazards–They Might Not Be What You Think!

We all want our homes to be safe, comfortable, and clean. But many everyday items are secretly serious home hazards! Do you know the dangers of these common household objects?

Extension Cords

Most people use extension cords incorrectly. They’re meant to be a temporary fix, but more often than not, they become a permanent fixture. More than 2,000 people go to the emergency room for treatment after tripping over extension cords. In addition, these cords are major fire risks–causing more than 3,000 house fires every year!

Never overload extension cords or power strips. It’s a good idea to turn off your power strips when not in use to lower your risk of fire.

Furniture Polish

Is enjoying shiny, dust-free furniture worth a major risk to your health? Conventional furniture polishes–the kind in convenient spray cans–contain toxic hydrocarbons. Damage to your vision, lungs, and skin is all possible when you use this common household hazard.

In addition, the chemicals in oil-based furniture polish and stain are highly flammable. Use with caution–or choose a non-toxic alternative.

Mothballs

Not only do mothballs smell terrible, but they are also seriously toxic to people as well as moths. The active ingredient in mothballs, naphthalene, has been linked to grave health problems in infants.

Other ingredients found in mothballs can harm you and your pets, so skip the stinky white pellets and use cedar instead.

Laundry Detergent Pods

You’ve heard the horror stories about teenagers daring each other to eat laundry detergent pods, but the truth is much sadder–and more dangerous. Small children and adults suffering from dementia are much more likely to ingest the pods.

Keep these items out of reach, or just stick with old-fashioned liquid soaps and powders.

Dryer Lint

Dryer lint seems like the most harmless stuff in the world. Sure, it’s annoying to clean out, but it can’t actually be dangerous. Right?

Unfortunately, if you allow lint to build up inside your dryer, you’re creating a major fire risk. An estimated 15,000 house fires start each year from dryers that haven’t been properly maintained.

If your clothes never seem to dry no matter how long you run them, there’s a good chance that lint has built up somewhere, blocking airflow and putting your home at risk.

Magnets

Magnets–especially the small “rare earth” variety–can cause tremendous harm to children and pets. First, they pose a major choking hazards. Worse, if ingested, magnets can stick together in the stomach or intestines, causing blockages or perforations.

Keep magnets well out of reach of curious kids and pets. Better safe than sorry!